Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Framed dollhouse structure

On Jan 20, 12:55*pm, Markem wrote:
On 20 Jan 2007 04:59:41 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

I'm thinking of doing something like that, using basic construction
techniques for the '90s (1890s), but my brain is simply pulling a plug
when it comes time to figure a reasonably fast and secure method for
the framing members. Epoxy? Expensive, but workable. Short brads?I have a question, how are you going to space the 2x4,s a jig? If you

do not have to adjust CA would be good, but then what do you make the
jig out of UHMW? You could also make long wall sections then cut them
to fit with a jig right.

Do not forget the wind braces.

Probably a UHMW plastic, yes. I've got plenty around here, as a friend
dropped a bundle off when he moved up north a few years ago.

Inlet bracing. You know, I need to study that one: I'm pretty sure it
was used, but back in those days, they mostly used balloon framing, and
it has been a LONG time since I've even seen a diagram.

I started out thinking I'd make it brick, but then realized back in
Victorian days, very little brick veneer was used. Solid brick
construction on a large dollhouse might well be a ticket to the
nuthouse. Make or buy the bricks and then pretend you're a miniature
mason. I think not. There will be enough work with tweezers anyway.

This dollhouse is going to be an immense amount of work before I even
start cutting wood, but plans and a jig or two will make it easily
repeatable.

By the time I get it finished, I may have a great-granddaughter ready
for it, though right now that's almost totally wish with no factual
back-up.