Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Got that sinking feeling - gas lift chair dead

Dave Baker wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:52:56 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

snip

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/re-gas.php

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/domestic.php

The first link is definitely interesting. I will ring them on Monday,

thanks
for the pointer.

I'm not sure why the second one isn't too because if yours is too buggered
to refill they can probably sell you a new one.

It looks to me like a custom part, not an Ikea enclosure with a standard
strut + valvegear inside. Perhaps not the piston and valve gear, which may
be off the shelf (or not), but certainly the cylinder is designed around
the rest of the chair.

I'd be interested in what price they quote, I've got a posh chair from
the tip that's got a duff strut.

as Andy said, it sadly may not be cost effective - but I'll do it out of
interest.

I think most struts lose their gas over a period of time. The tailgate one
on my Astra only lasted about 6 years but a little **** stole the car so
it became a non issue anyway. I managed for a while before that by keeping
a broom handle in the boot. You can probably guess the price of gas struts
from that of car shock absorbers which aren't too dissimilar. I'd hazard a
guess at £20 to £30 for a new strut and £10 for a refill. In bulk to the
trade probably a fraction of that. There's bugger all in the way of
materials or technology in those things. A bit of tube, a chromed rod,
some seals - not much else. I bet they make them for a couple of quid each
in India or somewhere similar.

Probably

Cheers

Tim