Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Got that sinking feeling - gas lift chair dead

On 2007-01-20 16:14:43 +0000, Tim S said:

I have an Ikea high back "executive" office chair - in quite good nick,
other than the gas lift has just died. Operate the lever with no weight on
the chair and it drops to the bottom.

At least it's only *to* the bottom. Remembers ancient JB film with
something like this
where Q does something and JB remarks on it bringing tears to the eyes.

I hate throwing perfectly good stuff away.

You ddi say it was IKEA. Ingvar Kamprad is a known cheapskate.

Any tips on how I might source a
new gas strut - and, before I bother taking it to bits (as it still sort of
functions as a chair), is it generally feasible to repair these things?

There are gas struts from suppliers in the new world. However the
cost of transporting them (the struts not the suppliers) to the old
world is not something which could be covered by Billy Bunter's postal
order.

Short version . It may not be cost effective.

Ta,

Tim