Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

Ross Herbert wrote:

Personally, I am all in favour of repairability if for no other
reason than it saves energy and resources across the board.

Its a tiny part of world energy consumption.

Do you have figures or reference to show that this endless manufacture
and replace with new process is a tiny part of world energy
consumption? I'd just assumed it was a major energy consumer.

NT

At least WRT automobiles, we could save a lot of energy by repairing
existing ones. I'm not sure what exactly it "costs" in energy to build
a car, but I seem to recall that it's something on the order of that
consumed by 10 years of regular use.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.