Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Infinity crossover coil value

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:14:01 -0600, BOB Urz "sound"@(remove)
inetnebr.com wrote:

I would be rather concerned about what actually caused the inductor/s
to be cooked so badly. Assuming you managed to replace them and get it
going again, what's to say that the owner is not going to repeat the
exercise?

He would have to be driving these things extremely hard to cause the
burnouts so perhaps they are not matched to his amps power output and
speakers correctly or he is running both amp and speakers into severe
overload. In this case I would suspect that the speakers aren't in too
good a shape either.

The drivers are intact. Yes, i believe they were driven hard.
But i am not the sound police. Only the repair man.
So he wants the crossovers fixed and i will fix them if i can.
But if he fry's them again its on his dime. I didn't design them
and did not overdrive them.

Bob

I entirely agree Bob. I was trying to intimate that perhaps along with
carrying out the wishes of the owner to repair these things, that a
little education might be needed to avoid a repeat. If he doesn't want
to heed your warnings, then sure, repair them as often as needed -
it's his money he's burning.

The only caution with this procedure may be that when his speakers (or
the amps) eventually do clap out he may try to blame you for their
demise by saying you can't possibly have repaired the x-overs
correctly because they hadn't died at the time the x-over first
failed, so why should they have died after you repaired them. You
can't reason with some people.