Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:10:24 -0600, Alan wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:21:05 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Alan
wrote:

Then this is a recent change.

It isn't recent.

"normal" stop and go driving, short trips, etc. are
considered to be severe service by every manufacturer of
every car I've bought. And the recommendation for that is
the shorter oil-change interval.

No, it's the oil change industry, such as companies like Jiffy-Lube,
trying to convince people that nearly all driving qualifies at severe
service. The vehicle manufacturers make it pretty clear what constitutes
severe service, and it isn't stop and go driving by itself. It's solely
short trips, because the moisture in the oil never gets vaporized.

The 3000 mile myth has been passed on from generation to generation,
even as oils have progressed from single-weight non-detergent oils, to
multi-weight detergent oils.

Maybe in your infinite understanding of such things it's a
myth. However it is printed in black and white in every new
car manual I've gotten in the last 20 years with I bought a
new car.

I grant you that there are lots of companies that will make
more money if an owner chooses the shorter intervals, but I
doubt if the automobile manufacturer would keep putting it
in their new car manuals if there wasn't some truth to it!

Alan

Manufacturer's recommended oil change interval for the Peugeot 407 is 20,000
miles.

Mark Rand
RTFM