John Noid

Default Advice needed on steam engine repair

I have a minature steam engine - heated by electricity. It has a 1/4 in OD
brass threaded pipe that has a needle valve on top that feeds steam to the
cylinder and also holds the cylinder, flywheel etc to the boiler. It has
been broken about a 1/4 in fron the end that goes into the boiler.

I would like comments advice criticism etc on my plan to repair. I need to
butt solder this little pipe so I found a number drill bit that would fit
snugly inside the pipe to hold it straight - then if I put a washer over
the drill bit so I could lightly clamp it together - could I then silver
solder it with a butane mini torch with a chance of it holding....I could
shim the pipe so I wouldn't need to have the threads be ok where it broke.

Would I solder the drill bit to the pipe - would coating the drill bit with
grease or something stop that?

Anything else wrong with my plan - I admit that I do most of my metalworking
with a hacksaw.

Thanks for your help.
John
noid at austin dot ibm dot com