Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Clear plastic channelling for shelf labels

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:07:17 +0000, MM wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:05:03 GMT, Cicero wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:51:21 +0000, MM wrote:

I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

MM

================================
An alternative to labelling the shelves is to make up dummy books (use
strong white card) to indicate the start of each section. Self adhesive
labels (to go on the spines of the dummy books) are readily available.

They look quite elegant when they're well made.

Now THAT is an amazingly brilliant suggestion! This changes the whole
approach, doesn't it? I'm often gobsmacked with what people come up with,
thanks! And the idea is even better, as each section would, kind of,
"self-label" itself as and when the section moves due to books being added
or removed.

MM

===============================
I'm pleased you like my suggestion, but........

I don't claim any originality for the idea as such dummy books have been
in use for many years with considerable success.

The idea of sections expanding and contracting as books are added /
removed isn't mine either. Most libraries in this country use the Dewey
Decimal classification system in which each category of book has a
meaningful classification number. Books are placed on shelves in numerical
order (books with same class number are then arranged alphabetically by
author's name) so that there is a continuous sequence even if there are no
books present in a particular classification. It's called 'relative
location' as opposed to 'fixed location' and avoids the possibility of
wasted empty shelf space.

p.s. Use the strongest card you can get consistent with being able to fold
it. Most stationers stock a range of cards. If you want to be really
'posh' you could make them from plywood.

Cic.

--
Testing UBUNTU Linux