Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default HAHA - FIXED IT MYSELF!!!!: Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:58:28 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"blueman" wrote
No thanks to some of the "pros" here, but I fixed the problem myself.

My programmable thermostat had a display on it to call a 800 number. It
wouldn't blow hot air from the gas roof unit.

I called the 800#. A nice tekkie came out. We went out on the roof, and
he
pulled a panel. He wiggled a wire, and the thing came on. He said,
"There's your problem. I can't fix it, but all you need to do is stick a
toothpick in there to make it move over for a tighter contact."

He also said it would be a good idea to put in a "smart valve" assembly,
and
showed me how to do it. A simple job of about an hour. He told me he has
seen countless toothpick fixes with the homeowner paying $100 for a
service
call.

I inserted said toothpick after he left. Well, long story short, the
toothpick is still working.

A smart valve is $100, and $400 installed. I think I will install it
myself
when the weather warms up a bit. Until then, it's fine.

There ARE some good hvac guys out there. Just not a lot. I think a lot
of
guys who flunk out of used car school become hvacs.

Steve

Yeah, right. Screw on a new gas valve and plug the wires back in. All
will be well??? Good thing you know about gas pressures, temp rise and
CO levels. No problem there. You're a genius.
Bubba

Smart enough to change a smart valve. It ain't rocket surgery. Even a
hvac man could do it.

Steve