Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Any landlords out there?

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggestions for landlord software. Or do you just keep
records in a simple spreadsheet? We'll have probably 15 to 20 single
family houses by the end.

thanks!

--
Steve Barker

Imagine Rod Serling's voice .............

A small town. Rental houses with a history, each one a study in Americana

We have vacation rentals in Las Vegas and Southern Utah. Right now, we have
four. We advertise them through vrbo.com and get tons of exposure. IIRC,
about $150 per year each.

Our occupancy percentages are 21 days a month.

The difference is ............ mortgage payments on each house is about $600
per month, and we charge that for a three day minimum stay. $1500 per week,
or $3500 per month. Lots less wear and tear than regular renters, and way
more income.

Were we to rent the same houses, we could get maybe $1300 a month, but that
is eaten up by a lot of upkeep. On most rentals, all the landlord is
looking for is a way to break even and make equity. But it is a slow
process. We take the overage from the rentals and buy first deeds of trust
in $10,000 multiples, and get from 14% to 28% on them, and they mature in
six to eighteen months.

The downside is that they have to be located in good areas of town, that
they have to be attractive furnished houses, but that is offset by the
income. You need to be the cleaning/turn around team to get them ready for
the next tenant, or have a good team of maids, gardeners, pool guys, spa
guys, etc. But, as I say, the benefits far exceed the costs. So far in
three years we have had no theft or broken items, save a dishwasher, coffee
pot and garbage disposal that died natural deaths. A couple of service
calls for the AC.

We get paid $400 to hold the dates. We get paid in full before arrival. We
do it all on credit cards over the phone, or CASH ON ARRIVAL. We love that.
;-) If all is well upon departing, the guest gets back their refund within
a week by electronic means. We have traded weeks with other vacation
rentals owners all over the world. An even swap.

I am not saying that you should do all your properties this way, or any of
them. It depends on where you are, the market, and lots of things. But
consider the idea, maybe if even for a few of them. One company here in
Vegas has about 500 of them. I can't imagine how much he makes off these.

You will net out a lot more money on vacation rental vs. normal rentals.
Better tenants, less headaches, less drama.

Oh, yeah. To answer your question, we just use Quick Books Pro. NObody
uses spread sheets any more. Even Excel would do it.

Steve