Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:19:11 -0000 Nightjar wrote :
Mind you, if they do accept payment this way, which they don't
have to, they will probably have an automatic coin counter, which
would take between 30 and 60 seconds to check the lot.

My Tesco now has one for the use of customers: I haven't tried it
myself but you toss in load of odd coins and it gives you real
money!

A coinstar? - I've used them a few times at Asda, they take about 10% for
profit and then offer you the opportunity to donate it all to charity, or
get a printout which you can exchange for goods or cash at the services
desk.

I'm not convinced they are accurate though, I tested it one day with a bag
of change, 2p, 1p, 5's and 10's, and counted it twice, then re-checked again
just to make sure there was *exactly* £4...the machine took it's cut and
offered me about 30p less than it should have been, about £3.30 IIRC....I
still use it though, CBA with all that bagging up and taking to the bank,
occasionally shops will take it if they know you, but it's easier to tip it
into a machine even if you are getting ripped off...£91 last time I went :-p