Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default JOKE: How many alt.hvac "experts" does it take to screw in a light bulb

"Ken" wrote in message
blueman3333 wrote:
First, my apologies though to the decent people on this newsgroup (and
you know who you are)...

Answer #1:
None you blankety-blank-stupid homeowner - they don't screw lightbulbs
-- they just screw customers...

Answer #2:
TEN
1 to berate the customer about how dangerous it is to change a
lightbulb since there is electricity inside the socket and he could
burn down the house or maybe even the whole neighborhood
1 to tell the homeowner how unqualified he is to even attempt to do so
1 to brag about all the certification, training, and years of
experience they have in light-bulb changing
1 to just berate the customer and curse at him for even asking a
question
1 to assume that since the customer is asking a question, he must be
"cheap"
1 to talk about how already by Wednesday night they have put in
more than 40 hours of light-bulb changing so they don't have time
to help anybody.
1 to tell the customer that he shouldn't even be asking any questions
but should immediately call a repair tech anytime a light bulb
burns out
1 to say that not only is a tech needed for changing
a lightbulb but that legally homeowners should be calling a tech
each time they decide to turn on and off the light bulb
1 to warn how no light-bulb changing technician would ever want
to work for the diy'er since he is such a fill in the blank insult
1 to spout useless, irrelevant (and wrong) pseudo-technical
misinformation about how to fix a doorbell

So you say but these 10 alt.hvac "pros" still haven't actually changed
the lightbulb -- no problem. The homeowner just changes it himself
since you really don't need an arrogant, trailer-trash alt.hvac tech
to change a light bulb!

You forgot the one about:

If you sought out opinions and recommendations of others so that you hired
a "Qualified and reputable technician," it is YOUR fault if HE does crummy
work. After all, YOU should not have fallen for those recommendations or
HIS promises!!! Least of all, You should NOT have posted in a news group
populated by professionals so that you don't make such a mistake.

I guess you should have used a Ouija board? (To those who try to be
helpful, you ARE appreciated.) Unfortunately there are not enough of you
in this NG. It is no wonder homeowners are willing to try to fix their
own systems before calling a pro. They have little confidence in being
treated fairly, and many of the "Pros" in this NG explain why that is the
case. All one has to do is read how some of them sell items not needed or
charge for items not delivered.

Actually all one needs to to is find a Pro, and not the lowest bidder, or
the one with the biggest company ,or the biggest YP ad.
Is the actual technician doing the work a certified Master (or even
jorneyman)Technician?? Is he/she Nate certified?? When was the last formal
training they attended?? Are they certified to use the new refrigerant(s)??

You ask these same type of questions of Doctors, Lawyers, and other
"professionals", why are you not asking these types of questions of those
you are trusting to work on the single most expensive appliance in your
home?? Even automotive mechanics have their certificates in frames on the
wall in their shop. We as HVAC technicians, are bringing our shop to you(the
customer), so we don't have a shop wall for you to see all the education and
training certificates. If in your ignorance, you don't ask about the
technician's qualifications, certifications, and training, then thats on
you, not the schmuck that shows up on your door step. In your ignorance, if
you don't ask, how do you know that the guy that just showed up on your
doorstep didn't "almost graduate from high school"?? (I have guys like this
calling me asking for a job as a tech, I tell them to go back to school).

As far as ALT.HVAC, when you come in here and ask a question, *most* of the
time, depending on the question, you will be to call a tech because we can't
*SEE* your particular furnace or heat pump or a/c through the computer
screen. 99.99% of the time you haven't bothered to do your homework and
search the archives to see that your same question has been asked hundreds
of times over the last 10 years. You will probably find that 99% of the time
when somebody is told to call their local tech, they get ****y about it just
the same way that you did because it wasn't what they wanted to hear. FWIW,
I have given up trying to reply privately because I am tired of typing a
lengthy reply of whats *probably* the cause, and how to correct the problem
only to have it bounce back because a bogus e-mail address.

You can joke all you want... but its your own ignorance that is the root
cause of your dissatisfaction with the HVAC trade. If you really want to
know, and see, first hand what a true professional HVAC technician does, and
how they work, I'm sure that there are several owners/master technicians
that would welcome you to ride along for a day....myself included.

Now its your choice.... you can put up, or shut up.

Either way, please go away