Posted to rec.woodworking
jon951 jon951 is offline

Default Rockwell 28-200 setup

I'm fixing up this bandsaw that someone literally put to curb as junk.
All it needed was light surface rust removal and ALL new roller
bearings (including the motor's), tires and blade guard. It's a great
find. It now looks like new.

Everything is almost back together, but I find that the upper and lower
wheels are not on the same plane. When I place a long straight-edge
vertically across the rim of the lower wheel, I see that the upper
wheel rim is a good 1/4" farther back than the lower wheel. A 1/4"
seems like a lot.

I'm sure the lower bearing is fully seated. I could put a spacer
behind the upper wheel to shim it out, but that would move its outer
bearing nearly half-way off the machined surface of the upper spindle,
which doesn't seem right.

I didn't check this before dismantling, but I would assume they should
line up, correct?

I don't have any documentation for this saw. I do have the exploded
parts diagram from acetoolrepair.com. The only thing missing seems to
be two spring washers that go inboard of the lower/rear (drive pulley
end) bearing on the lower wheel shaft. These would not effect the
lateral positioning of the lower wheel. I'm not even sure what purpose
they serve.

Any suggestions?
Does anyone have documentation on this saw?

Jon.