Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockwell 28-200 setup

I'm fixing up this bandsaw that someone literally put to curb as junk.
All it needed was light surface rust removal and ALL new roller
bearings (including the motor's), tires and blade guard. It's a great
find. It now looks like new.

Everything is almost back together, but I find that the upper and lower
wheels are not on the same plane. When I place a long straight-edge
vertically across the rim of the lower wheel, I see that the upper
wheel rim is a good 1/4" farther back than the lower wheel. A 1/4"
seems like a lot.

I'm sure the lower bearing is fully seated. I could put a spacer
behind the upper wheel to shim it out, but that would move its outer
bearing nearly half-way off the machined surface of the upper spindle,
which doesn't seem right.

I didn't check this before dismantling, but I would assume they should
line up, correct?

I don't have any documentation for this saw. I do have the exploded
parts diagram from acetoolrepair.com. The only thing missing seems to
be two spring washers that go inboard of the lower/rear (drive pulley
end) bearing on the lower wheel shaft. These would not effect the
lateral positioning of the lower wheel. I'm not even sure what purpose
they serve.

Any suggestions?
Does anyone have documentation on this saw?

Jon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jon951 wrote:
[...]

Try owwm.com for the documentation

Search the owwm.org archives for information on the wheel positioning

AM Wood

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 11:11 pm, "jon951" wrote:
I'm fixing up this bandsaw that someone literally put to curb as junk.
All it needed was light surface rust removal and ALL new roller
bearings (including the motor's), tires and blade guard. It's a great
find. It now looks like new.

You suck. Good find!
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for owwm link -- lots of good stuff there.

Havent been able to find a users manual yet, but they did have a
cleaner version of the exploded assembly and parts list.

Regarding the wheel alignment, in searching this forum and owwm, it
looks like this is a "religion and politics" debate as to whether they
are supposed to be coplanar or not. It would certainly seem to me as
though they were designed to be out of plane, since the lower wheel
cannot be moved back, and shimming the upper wheel by 1/4" seems
excessive. The bottom line is how it will track. Have yet to mount
the tires before I can fire it up.

Does anyone know the purpose of the two "bearing loading springs"
located inboard of the bearing on the lower wheel shaft, drive-pulley
side. It looks like these are wavy washers, that go in the bearing
bore before pressing in the bearing. Mine are missing, yet the shaft
seems to spin nicely. Perhaps they insure the outer race presses
against the casting bore?

Jon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jon951" wrote in message

Regarding the wheel alignment, in searching this forum and owwm, it
looks like this is a "religion and politics" debate as to whether they
are supposed to be coplanar or not. It would certainly seem to me as
though they were designed to be out of plane, since the lower wheel
cannot be moved back, and shimming the upper wheel by 1/4" seems
excessive. The bottom line is how it will track. Have yet to mount
the tires before I can fire it up.

FWIW, Iturra (888-883-8064, no website) has Delta Wheel Shim Kits for both
the upper and lower wheels. Iturra recommends on the Delta to shim the upper
wheel since it is easier to access. Shims range in thickness from .001 -
..125.

You will want to get Iturra to send you their catalog ... it is full of
information about Delta bandsaws and plenty of replacement/upgrade parts. An
excellent resource for Delta/Jet 14" bandsaw owners, including their take on
the co-planar issue.

Give'em a call ... you won't regret it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Cement Mixers - Why have they always been ~ £200 ? . UK diy 20 February 10th 06 09:55 PM
Car Battery wiring & setup. Mobile/Setup/Coolbox john UK diy 3 August 7th 05 07:13 PM
Carver PM-200 Greg M Electronics Repair 3 November 30th 04 12:50 PM
Xalio 200 1 Electronics Repair 0 October 9th 04 12:30 AM
best $200 dishwasher? Daniel Home Ownership 22 February 5th 04 09:30 AM