Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

"CJT" wrote in message
blueman wrote:

CJT writes:

Mo Hoaner wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
m...

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:19:47 GMT, blueman3333
wrote:

Snip

If you want to fix it yourself, pull all the parts off the working
furnace and start putting them on the inoperative furnace one by one
till you get it. Whats the worst that can happen?
Your burn yourself, you asphyxiate yourself or your family, you burn
your house down or you electrocute yourself.
and maybe, just maybe, you might get it right.
Bubba

Get which part right? The burning, asphyxiation, arson,
electrocution, or the part about calling someone who doesn't have to
guess, actually knows where the basement is?

You guys just hate it when a service call is avoided, don't you.

CJT - thanks for the positive and constructive comments.
I really don't get some of the guys on alt.hvac. Not only do they have
nothing productive to add, but they immediately go into "asshole" mode.

- If they don't want to help, why do they waste their time responding?
- Are their egos so low and are they so threatened by an occasional
DIY that they have to go into "attack" mode?
- Do they truly believe that their attitude will win them loyal
customers?
- Are they so down-and-out that anything is better than counting the
minutes until the next unemployment check arrives?

I can't explain it, but I know it's been going on for a long time.
I was shocked the first time I encountered it. They seem to have
lots of time on their hands for slinging insults, so I assume they're
mostly disgruntled ex-techs.

Actually you got it totaly wrong... most of us are master HVAC techs, or
other certified professionals, and owners with a touch of burn-out from
working from can to can't every day. Cheap *******s like you get ****y when
you call on Sunday afternoon to come fix you broken furnace that has been
down for 2 weeks, then get ****ed because you have to pay overtime. Most of
us have our first 40 hours for that week in by Wednesday evening. Our
regular customers know enough to call when they have a problem with their
system, because they know it will be fixed right the first time. You and a
lot of others come in here expecting to have us tell you whats wrong with
your heating and cooling system(s), sight unseen, then step by step how to
fix them. In case you haven't figured it out yet, there are places in the
country where it's ILLEGAL for anybody but a licensed tech to mess with your
system. There is a reason for this....it usually has to do with somebody
that didn't have a clue screwing with their furnace with the resultant loss
of life, limb, and/or property.
Sure you *might* save a buck or 2 by DIY, but with the new equipment, and
controls, if you don't have the training, its highly likely that you can
cause terminal damage to the whole system. With an average cost of over
$8,000 to do a simple system replacement, thats going to be a real expensive
lesson.

That being said, its your life, and your money...you can do what you want.