Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve Steve is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
How am I wrong? I have defeated several "deadlocking latches" - both
Kwikset and also good quality Weiser and Schlage - with only a thin
piece of flexible plastic.

That's because you either know a trick that works with SOME door/frame
combinations or (more likely) the deadlatch was already bottomed in the hole
along with the spring latch rendering it useless. You cannot credit card
shim a properly installed, dead latched (which is pretty much all of them
sold today) KIK used in a good solid door/frame.

If you want anything that will cause someone
motivated to get into your house to have to take more than a couple
minutes, you need a deadBOLT. As I said, any kid with a library card
can defeat a deadlocking latch UNLESS you take other measures to keep
them from doing so, like cutting a slot to catch the card in the door
jamb.

No in many applications they can't (and neither can you) which tells me
most of your experience comes from watching Jim Rockford on TV. It always
worked great for him, of course there was never anything in the way when he
would do those cool J turns in the firebird either.

Even so they can sneak the card around the corner above the latch
and slide it down.

nate

Steve wrote:
"Proving he watches a lot of TV and doesn't know what a deadlocking

latch is
Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel