Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
blueman blueman is offline

Default Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

writes:
CJT wrote:

Mo Hoaner wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:19:47 GMT, blueman3333
wrote:

Snip

If you want to fix it yourself, pull all the parts off the working
furnace and start putting them on the inoperative furnace one by one
till you get it. Whats the worst that can happen?
Your burn yourself, you asphyxiate yourself or your family, you burn
your house down or you electrocute yourself.
and maybe, just maybe, you might get it right.
Bubba

Get which part right? The burning, asphyxiation, arson, electrocution, or
the part about calling someone who doesn't have to guess, actually knows
where the basement is?

You guys just hate it when a service call is avoided, don't you.

Bubba is big enuf to answer for himself, but actually us guys LOVE to
be called in after a homeowner has ****ed things up royally.

go right ahead and buy all the parts you want and install them
yourself. try getting a warranty on those parts, especially after you
**** them up installing them yourself.

Obviously, depends on the skill of the homeowner DUH. I save thousands
every year by DIY and almost never have to call in a repairman for
anything -- certainly, I have never had to call a repair person in to
fix my own mistakes.

see, this particular ho cant get his story straight. first it fires
for a few seconds then dies, then he says it runs for several mins
then dies. which is it?

I think the problem is you can't read straight... I pretty clearly
stated that after cycling the power, it burns for a few minutes the
first time. Then after the flame extinguishes, it enters a cycle where
the flame only burns for 1-2 seconds (or less) before sputtering out.

Please let me know what your business name is so I can be sure NOT to
use you on account of:
1. Your screw-the-consumer attitude
` 2. Your inability to read a clear diagnosis of the problem

Personally I think the best part is the ****ed up design of the York
piece of **** furnace, running the blower 24/7 non stop when the
system goes into fault mode. A real genius at work there.

Actually, even as a "non-pro" ho (as you say), I think it could make
sense. Keeping the blower running probably helps disperse and dilute small
concentrations of dangerous gasses that could accumulate in a fault
condition...