Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
DanG DanG is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

The little extra pin is called an anti pick feature. If it is
depressed, you should not be able to push the strike back.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
How...? the little extra pin still retracts when you push the
latch back. unless you can stop that from happening, you will
always be able to use the library card trick.

nate

Roger Cann wrote:
quick 2¢... when installed correctly deadlatch works and
library card doesn't. :-)

Yes when installed wrong almost anybody with the knowledge of
how to bend that card just right can get in with a credit card.
That's why we make the big bucks... When we come across this
at a customers location (via lock-out or break-in) we'll
realign the strike plate to bring the "DEADLATCH" back into the
picture and also encourage the purchase of a deadbolt and maybe
a strike protector as well. Hey it is all about the Benjamin's
and public safety is it not?

still in business,
Roger

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

How am I wrong? I have defeated several "deadlocking
latches" - both Kwikset and also good quality Weiser and
Schlage - with only a thin piece of flexible plastic. If you
want anything that will cause someone motivated to get into
your house to have to take more than a couple minutes, you need
a deadBOLT. As I said, any kid with a library card can defeat
a deadlocking latch UNLESS you take other measures to keep them
from doing so, like cutting a slot to catch the card in the
door jamb. Even so they can sneak the card around the corner
above the latch and slide it down.

nate

Steve wrote:

"Proving he watches a lot of TV and doesn't know what a
deadlocking latch is
Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point
worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel