Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

Separate matter entirely to the mindlessly silly claim that
its even possible to design an appliance to break about a
year after the warranty runs out, with most appliances.

..

Why do you say it is impossible? When designing the product
the engineers figure the average useage of the appliance every day
and then calculate about how long it will take before a failure.
They also do product reliability testing to see how long on average it is
before a product fails. Many times they use methods for speeding up
the process, ex acid or amplified sunlight.

And even the stuff which can be designed to do that like
the stuff with microprocessor control that can certainly
be programmed to do that, no one is actually THAT stupid

If I remember correctly I read about a certain laser printer on this group
that would stop functioning after it prited a certain amount of pages. It
had to
have a reset button pushed on its mainboard before it would start working
agian.
I don't know this to be a fact since I've never experineced this myself
though.

- Mike