Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Planned Obselescence....A Good Thing?

A whole big bunch of text and data files will
_still_ fit on a floppy. It's just that floppy drives are being replaced
by inexpensive CD and DVD RW storage that store more and have better
data retention, more or less.

Better data retention? Think again.

Hard drive/tape/floppy (as in magnetic) storage have the best lifespan.

DC/DVD storage life can be measured in just a few years.

Archival storage of data is a BIG deal that the industry doesn't like
to talk about.

TMT

John Husvar wrote:
In article k.net,
"Tomes" wrote:

I remember getting a 20MB hard drive and being ridiculed for opulence.
"How are you EVER going to fill THAT up?" That was on a 8088 machine.
Tomes

Similarly, I remember, when the 10MB Winchesters came out, wondering who
on Earth would need to store 10MB of data _on_ an internal drive? Of
course, those were the days when there wasn't much but text or binary
files and a whole big bunch of text or data files would fit on a floppy.

What was I thinking? A whole big bunch of text and data files will

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.