Jeff Wisnia

Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

wrote:

I have just finished a repair job on my battery Philishave.
Batteries died after about 12 years continuous use, so I replaced it
with a mains version ($69) which is dying after about a year, so I
looked at a new battery job. $350+ no bloody way I am going to
pay that, the original only cost about $25 or about $120 in
depreciated dollars. I went to a battery shop, bought 2 x 2/3 sub-C
replacements for $20.15, soldered them in, charged them and now the
shaver is running as good as new, just in time for my trip to Japan.

Those are the same size nicads I just replaced in our home's two Dust
Busters. One of them as it turns out was the second set in what must be
near it's 15th year of faithful service. I'd forgotten I'd done that one
before, but when I opened it up I saw the unmistakable signs of my
previous handiwork inside.

Not suprisingly the responses on this thread are overwhelmingly in favor
of DIY repair for all the reasons which have been mentioned, and I'm
proud to be in that category.

I'll replace things which wear out or break if there's a clear benefit
in the newer version, but if all that's available is the same (or worse)
old ****e, I'll give a go at repairing what I've got, thank you.

I've reached the age where I'm not embarrassed by doing what I like to
do. I'll gleefully suggest autofornication to any ten thumbed snob who
accuses me of "wasting time on that."

IIRC it was this group's Don Foreman who informed me that Emanuel Kant
wrote that man is not complete unless he spends some time just "farting
around" with stuff. Thanks Don.

Jeff

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."