Ted Edwards

Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

wrote:

I have just finished a repair job on my battery Philishave.
Batteries died after about 12 years continuous use, so I replaced it
with a mains version ($69) which is dying after about a year, so I
looked at a new battery job. $350+ no bloody way I am going to
pay that, the original only cost about $25 or about $120 in
depreciated dollars. I went to a battery shop, bought 2 x 2/3 sub-C
replacements for $20.15, soldered them in, charged them and now the
shaver is running as good as new, just in time for my trip to Japan.

Batteries are 2/3 length sub-C size, anything longer will not fit
in. C and sub-C are different sizes. I think C are larger
diameter. They are installed with both negative ends to the bottom of
the case as there is a diagonal PCB track from + on one to - on the

Digi-key (
http://www.digikey.com) carry quite an assortment of Panasonic
NiMH and NiCd cells with solder tabs. I would go for NiMH in that app
since they have much higher capacity.

Ted