Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default Are Poundland "Duracell" batteries fakes?

In article , Gaz wrote:
Chris Fishwick wrote:

It is sometimes hard to accept, because we have being conditioned to think
of price=value. But the price of goods, is largely not connected to the cost
of production, but how much the consumer is willing to spend.

this reminds me of a time years ago when I was working in a garage shop
on Saturdays. This was a small garage in the middle of nowhere that had
stock of all sorts and the boss insisted on working in the same way as he
had for the last 60 years - a fixed markup. I remember we got a box of
hand drills in from somewhere on some stupid price that meant by the time
we had marked them up they were 93p each. A load were stuck on the end of
the counter and they caused plenty of interest - but we sold none.

After a couple of weeks we put them up to 2.99 or something and they flew
out of the shop. Dunno if this is still the case these days what with
all the pound shops and places like lidl and aldi offering very cheap
stuff all of the time.

Sometimes, things are *so* cheap that people assume they must be rubbish
(like the LED torches mentioned on here recently...)

Take common cleaning products, which we all but, such as washing powder or
floor cleaner. They are all made from pretty basic chemicals, and are made
up in enormous quantities. Who here reckons the cost of production for a 2kg
box of washing powder is far less then the transportation costs to get it to
the supermarket??

Dishwasher tablets annoy me - I want some bog standard dishwasher tablets.
I don' want the ones that have salt and rinse aid and lord knows what else
in at 30pence a tablet :-(

Darren