Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR JR is offline

Default 3801 denon receiver

JR wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
JR wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
JR wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
Hello, i have a problem with a 3801 denon receiver, ..I bought
this receiver from a guy on the internet, said to be in exellent
shape, when it arrived, i plugged it in and it will not do
anything, no display, no standby light, no click when you hit
power switch nothing. I have checked all 7 fuses on the receiver
with an ohm meter, they are all ok. checked voltage where power
cord plugs into board, shows 120 volts, if you unplug receiver
and checked switched outlet on back of receiver, the outles show
open with ohm meter, unplug yellow and white wire on transformer
to board and now switched outlets are no longer reading
open....does this sound like a power transformer, any way to
test?

OK, tried to send you the manual - it bounced because it was too
big. I'l split it and send it in 2 parts.

Mark Z.

man i really appreciate it...it looks like i have a bad relay, im
gonna get on the phone and see if i can find parts

Actually had to split it into about 6 parts. What a pain.These PDF
split programs could be better designed. One has to experiment with
page ranges, etc to get an acceptable size. Could be done better
with a graphical interface.

I really doubt you have a bad relay, more likely a circuit board
crack.

Mark Z.

Agreed

Arfa

well i finally give up, couldnt find the problem, so i sent it off to
an authorized denon repair center, they called me today, said the
micro processor is out, and probably alot more but they would ave to
replace processor before doing any more troubleshooting...i said..how
much? he replied, 170.00 to replace processor and as much as 760.00
for other problems, i told them to forget it and send it back to me,
so i guess im back to the drawing board

OK, read the other post which didn't really express the "two-tiered"
estimate. I can understand the possibility that the shop, after not finding
any obvious cracks, etc gave the estimate to replace the micro as an initial
step. Done this myself sometimes, usually after a lightning strike. I'll
tell the insurance company it's so much to replace the micro, win, lose or
draw - then we'll see what doesn't work after that.

Mark Z.

well i have pulled receiver apart, and have been checking traces with
ohm meter. I have traced voltage from ac input all the way to a
capacitor right before the relay, i have voltage on 1 side of the cap
but nothing on the other side, i checked the cap with a ohm meter also
it shows nothing..according to the schematic the power has to come
through this cap and relay before going into the fuses...could the c525
cap be causing all this problem

i just found several problems....it looks like lightning must have got
this thing, or the guy majorly shorted it out..i checked readings
against a good working receiver...found mini trans bad, 1 bad cap,
several resistors bad, etc etc...