Ljwebb11

Default HELP: Required Tools to stock my shop?

From: FrOg
Date: 2/15/2004 10:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
I need to know what tools (basic to advanced) should
be stocked in my dunebuggy/sandrail/auto fabrication shop?

Usually working with +/- 2" tubing, plate steel
and sheet metal of various thickness...

what should I have in the shop?

type of screwdrivers?
type of hammers?
type of drills?
type of welders?
type of grinders?
type of etc...?

need help to get this shop stocked correctly...

TIA,

FrOg

Sounds like an ambitious project. I have built my own sandrail and helped on
several others. We had seven rails in my family at one time.

If you are starting from scratch, I would recommend buying already built frames
and go from there. You are talking a sizable investment in machines and space
to fabricate frames.

The most important machines needed then would be welders. You could get by with
just an arc welder if you are very good. Mig, Tig, and oxy/acetylene all have a
place in that also. A plasma cutter will help. You will need grinders and
sanders. 4-1/2 and 7" hand held angle grinders/sanders. A bench grinder, belt
sander, disc sander help also.

You will need to be able to make holes. Good hand power drills and a drill
press. The drill bits will need to be good quality. A vertical mill is a big
plus as is a lathe.

On the sheet metal end, count on a foot shear, box or finger brake, hand
shears, nibbler and maybe a slip roll.

You will need jack stands, jacks, engine stand, engine hoist, chain hoist.

The list of hand tools is quite large.
Screwdrivers, pliers, metric and standard wrenches and sockets, many hammers of
different styles and weights, hacksaw, files, clamps, vises.

If you wish to keep everything square and aligned, you should be building these
on a nice flat surface. A nice large fab table or plate does the job.

You will need measuring and layout tools of many types. A tape measure won't
cut it.
I've really only touched on what is needed. It would take quite a bit of time
to get into details.

You are looking at a large investment in tools and machines if you are starting
from scratch. Buy the best you can afford. Cheap import crap will be a waste of
money and only frustrate you.

It takes time to acquire the tools to do this type of work. And there is always
one more tool to be purchased that will make life easier.

It sounds like you have a lot of homework to do if you plan on being serious
about this.

Truthfully, the best thing you can do is get a job at a shop that is doing this
type of work. Even sweeping the floor will allow you to see what tools and
skills are needed for this type of work.

Good luck.
Les