Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

mm wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:03:37 GMT, "
wrote:

How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?

I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All Doors" &
"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand keyed
knobs and two deadbolts.

The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two keyed
knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the left).
My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).

You just want the key to be "right side" up? How do you know which
side is the right side?

Why can't you just rotate the whole lock 180 degrees?

Every second house in my n'hood has a door that swings one way, and
every first and third house, the door swings the other way. (or opens
from the other side, depending on how you phrase it.) And I'm sure
they all have Kwikset locks like I do. Do you want me to check which
side of the keyhole goes up in my neighbors' locks?

For me, I think the key's teeth point up. Is that good or bad?

good. If the key's teeth point down, someday half a century down the
road when one of the tumbler springs breaks or loses tension, you could
be locked out of your house when one of the tumblers jams. If the teeth
point up, then gravity will help the springs and as long as the lock
isn't gummed up, it will open with the correct key even if there are
*no* springs inside.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.