Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Staining pine screen/storm door frame

"Joe" writes:
blueman wrote:
Note the door manufacturer (The Combination Door Company) "recommends
the use of Sikkens Cetol Door and Window finish." Are such finishes
anything special or are they just pitching somebody elses product

Odds are the door maker knows more about finishing the product than
anyone in this NG. They have recommended a well-respected product, so
save yourself the hassle and just use it.

Interesting... I would have thought so too. However, the "technician"
I spoke to several times said that they (the manufacturer) don't know
a lot about finishing the doors and that I would do better to ask the
distributor. He really couldn't answer any questions about staining in
general or about the Sikkens finish in particular that they recommend
on their web site. This makes me wonder though whether they are simply
getting paid to promote the Sikkens product and plaster the promotion
on their web site. (I believe Edwin Pawloski had a similar hunch).

To get the color you want, experiment on the inside lower stiles.
Minwax is good stuff, but with pine, go easy on the stain, maybe even
get some similar pine boards to play with at the lumber yard. The top
finish will dictate the durability, so follow the Cetol directions to
the letter. Install with three high quality hinges, 7" from the top,
center, and 11" from the bottom. Good luck.

Thanks good suggestions!