Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
George George is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand door?

I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All
Doors" &
"Easy Installation". The Kwikset lock package contained two left-hand
keyed
knobs and two deadbolts.

The problem is there is NOTHING on the package that indicates the two
keyed
knobs are set up for left-handed doors (those with the hinge on the
left).
My outside doors are right-hand doors (they have the hinge on the right).

It's crazy to me that Kwikset doesn't even SAY on the package that all my
lock cylinders will be upside down unless I can figure out how to switch
the Kwikset lock from being a left-hand knob to a right-hand knob.

Do you know how?

I googled only to find a very tough to follow description of the lock
knob
keyhole reversing procedure sans pictures at
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=227800

Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock
that is
set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a
right-hand door?

The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no
room to
tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side up.

Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with pictures)?

I'm not sure, but...

...why Kwikset? Schlage is nearly the same price, and MUCH better
quality - you can feel the difference just by turning the knob, heavier
metal, parts less "sloppy" - even if you aren't in any way mechanically
inclined.

And even worse the Home depot Kwikset locksets are the total bottom of
whatever little quality Kwikset has.

I'm not really of a criminal bent, but I have my suspicions that I could
easily break/bypass your Kwikset lockset with only a good pair of boots
- I suspect one swift kick would knock the outer knob right off the door.

Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying about
it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

nate