Posted to alt.home.repair
kitchens etc. kitchens etc. is offline

Default Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
| wrote:
| How do we flip a left-hand Kwikset lock so it works on a right-hand
door?

| I bought a set of Kwikset Security locks which advertise "Fits All
Doors" &

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=227800

| Is there a PHOTOGRAPH or DIAGRAM of how to reverse a quickset lock
that is
| set up for a left-hand door to have the keyhole right-side up for a
| right-hand door?
|
| The instructions have room for Spanish, English, and French, but no
room to
| tell us how to install the lock such that the keyhole is right-side
up.

| Is the procedure to flip the Kwikset keyhole documented (with
pictures)?

| I'm not sure, but...
|
| ...why Kwikset? Schlage is nearly the same price, and MUCH better
| quality - you can feel the difference just by turning the knob,
heavier
| metal, parts less "sloppy" - even if you aren't in any way
mechanically
| inclined.
|
| I'm not really of a criminal bent, but I have my suspicions that I
could
| easily break/bypass your Kwikset lockset with only a good pair of
boots
| - I suspect one swift kick would knock the outer knob right off the
door.

or your hip and knee would give out, or maybe twist your ankle.
If this is a bet
I will take that bet and raise you $100 that you can not kick off a
kwikset lock.
even the firemen had to use an ax to get in my neighbors house when it
caught fire last year.
and yes they had kwikset locks.

| Of course, if you don't have a deadbolt, there's no point worrying
about
| it... any kid with a library card can get in your door.

not true
kwikset locks have an anti-theft pin so that can't happen.
do I hear another bet?

| nate

locks are to keep the honest people honest.
criminals would just break a window, lock or no lock.