Posted to alt.home.repair
Pokee Pokee is offline

Default Toilet Tank Leak - Maybe a cracked tank?

Pokee wrote:
DH and a friend replaced all the parts in our two toilets today due to
slow leaks (both toilets had seals/gaskets/washers sooooo old that it
was amazing we didn't have slow leaks any sooner).

Toilet #1 is fine. Toilet #2 is leaking from the tank (in the big
gasket, screw mount area - we cannot tell for sure, even though we have
monitored it very closely). While our friend thought the leak was
coming through one of the screw holes, DH and I have think it's the big
gasket seal in the center of the toilet (that seals the hole from
toilet to bowl).
1. The new gasket seal that goes from the outside of the tank to the
bowl hole is not large or puffy enough - OR - is defective somehow
(although it looks fine).

2. The tank has a hairline crack that we cannot see. I think we've
disproved this theory due to different results with each mounting of
the tank, but - I really don't know.

Also meant to mention, we drained all of the water and dried it with a
hair dryer to inspect for cracks - we couldn't see any. We also did
the best we could to make sure the 'inside' seal was sealed as well as
it could be. It does look like it's fine.

I read somewhere else that buying an oversized gasket may fix the
problem (maybe this toilet's hole is a tad bigger or misshapened?).

I've also read that we can try silicone on the seals? Of course, it
has to be dry...

I think I just need more ideas of things to try before getting that
nifty $200 bill from the plumber...

Thanks again!
Paula