Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Convert bathroom into pantry?

On 12 Jan 2007 13:50:49 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Well, overall this would de-value the house. The number of baths,
number of bedrooms, and square footage are basic in determining value.
If you plan on staying there it really doesn't matter. Strange, when
you add a bathroom it may increase your property tax, but when you
take away a bathroom your property tax will stay the same. To find
out approximately how much your house will devalue, contact a
real-estate representative.