Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

Default Convert bathroom into pantry?

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TC" wrote in message
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

If the next owner is into cooking, the pantry could be a great asset. My
only caveat would be this: Do you ever use that bathroom when you have messy
shoes on, maybe from yard work, and don't want to march through the rest of
the house to one of the other bathrooms?

Posted to alt.home.repair

i think it would lower homes value, if you do it at least leave the
plumbing in place take photos of open walls etc so the next owner can
put it back easily.

how long are you planning on living there? if its forever do what makes
you happy. if its move in 5 years do whats better for homes value

you might check with a local realtor, if all the nearby homes have this
bath removing it could make it hard to sell

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't believe in doing things for "the next owner" . Whose house is it
anyway? It's kind of like putting seat covers on nice velour seats in a
car, who are we saving them for??? I say if a pantry is what YOU need, then
by all means go for it.

--
Steve Barker

"TC" wrote in message
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyway, big pantries on the main floor are cool, and a good idea, especially
if the only other option for storing some food is in the basement, which may
not be the best environment.

"TC" wrote in message
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
I don't believe in doing things for "the next owner" . Whose house is it
anyway? It's kind of like putting seat covers on nice velour seats in a
car, who are we saving them for??? I say if a pantry is what YOU need, then
by all means go for it.

You guys are right of course, screw the resale, live in your own damn
house.

One suggestion, put some police tape across the bathroom door for a
month and see how you like walking.
Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like.
However, I would like some input concerning value of our home. We
have a 1700sq ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is
literally 3 steps from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our
kitchen is fairly small and has limited space so my wife suggested
we convert the half bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the
kitchen, it's perfect. My question: would this lower the value of
our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

If the next owner is into cooking, the pantry could be a great asset.
My only caveat would be this: Do you ever use that bathroom when you
have messy shoes on, maybe from yard work, and don't want to march
through the rest of the house to one of the other bathrooms?

No. It's really in the middle of the house, so another bathroom is just
as close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 12 Jan 2007 13:50:49 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Because of the presence of plumbing nearby?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , TC says...

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

If you're planning to move soon and are also needing to count on maximizing the
return on the sale of your house, I'd consult with a real estate agent - it all
depends on how houses like yours are usually set up in your area, and the
specifics of the bathroom placements.

But, if not (and even if so - you'll still have two full baths!), I'm with the
folks who say houses are for the living, and if a pantry is the way the space is
the most useful to you (sounds like it), do it. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Not if it is a pantry, it is just shelves and one light. There will be no
appliances or work area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2007 13:50:49 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

imho:

New owner? Are you planing on selling soon? I've seen tv shows with
realtors preaching that bedrooms (numbers) and bathrooms (numbers and
quality) sell houses. You might be reducing the value of your home.
Also, some local taxes are based on bedrooms and bathrooms, so you
migt then be overpaying for taxes for what you have.

Might want to consult with a designer/builder and keep that bathroom,
and get options to increase your kitchen size.

Good luck, and keep us up to date with what you do.

tom @ www.Mesothelioma-Lawyers-List.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TC" writes:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

Sitting here, looking at text post across the internet, I'd lean
toward "yeah, it very well may reduce the value of your home."
There's no field in MLS for "pantry."

However, the reality is in the details. The old wisdom is "kitchens
and bathrooms sell homes" and of course, here you're at odds with each
other. If you can make that pantry really cool and really memorable
such that it makes the female half of the couple looking at your home
next light up and say "wow that's cool and unique, and I love it! A
walk in closet for the kitchen! WOW! Now that I think about it hte
other places in this neighborhood don't have enough kitchen storage!"
then you may sell faster or for more money than otherwise.

But if you make that pantry look like a converted bathroom such that
it sticks out with mixed feelings, and you're reducing your MLS
bathroom count by .1 you may be undermining resale value.

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

A good idea if you can do it in the wall, perhaps behind an access
panel(s). The toilet drain will be the one requiring some
creativity. And the ceiling vent might be something you want to hide
somehow so the buyers can't look up and say "Do I want my food in a
place people used to crap?"

That's the nuttiness about value--perception becomes reality in a
hurry, and there's no way of reliably predicting what folks will love
or hate.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , TC
wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Or incorporate a small utility sink into the pantry plan for cleanup or
additional food prep space, or as a wet bar, since the plumbing is
already there . . . .

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank Warner" wrote in message
or as a wet bar, since the plumbing is
already there . . . .

That opens up new possibilities, depending on where the entertaining would
be done. A nice liquor cabinet and sink may add some value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Not if it is a pantry, it is just shelves and one light. There will be no
appliances or work area.

I've seen pictures of creative storage built in between the studs. I
could find a lot of wasted space...but a half bath for guests seems more
valuable to me rather than just a simple pantry. I would look at other
options for pantry style storage before I ripped a half bath out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2007 13:50:49 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Make a pantry and a happy wife. Allow yourself the ability; later, to
convert back to a half bath. Disclose this in any future sale, or
negotiate an allowance for a buyer to convert the space. They might
even like the pantry.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

In a pantry?

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Yeah what he said. Why would you need ANY recepticles in a pantry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cannot recall a real estate add that listed a pantry as a feature,
even for homes that I know have pantries. Its not uncommon around here
to convert a pantry into a half-bath, as many of these older homes are
multi-story with no bath on the main floor. I think life styles have
changed and people no longer buy the large quantities of food that they
used to, so we no longer need pantries. Even modern kitchens lack what
I feel is sufficient storage space, and I think that is because people
want preparation or eating space, and it is so common in many places to
go out to dinner, or at least order in. My son and his wife live in
California and in all the visits we have made there, she has cooked a
meal only once; we almost always go out.

So I would give a lot of thought as to just what you would need a pantry
for, before spending the money on tearing out a half-bath, and almost
certainly reducing your equity in your home.

On the other hand, if you call it a wine cellar, that sounds like an
excellent idea.

TC wrote:
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends very much on the age of the homes. Here (Rochester NY), there are
tons of very nice homes built between 1900 and 1950, many of which contain
very nice pantries. They are frequently mentioned in real estate ads, along
with pictures. Sometimes a pantry is nothing but a walk-in closet. Others
are more like a room, and can be very useful when planned correctly.

TC wrote:
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

TC wrote:
My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like.
However, I would like some input concerning value of our home. We
have a 1700sq ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is
literally 3 steps from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our
kitchen is fairly small and has limited space so my wife suggested
we convert the half bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the
kitchen, it's perfect. My question: would this lower the value of
our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

I spoke with a real estate agent that I know. He said for me (in
central FL), this would not hurt the value of my home and also said "in
many cases, it's a very good selling point". Our kitchen is small with
virtually no storage space. We do not buy alot of food, but with
pots/pans, crockpots, pancake griddle and so on, we have very little
room.

I have to admit, pantries seem to be limited in central FL, but at
every house that did have one, it was listed as a selling feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:15:31 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
om...
In a pantry?

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message

I know this is probably not important to you but this will violate NEC
210.52 if you don't have all the receptacles in there in a 20a "small
appliance" circuit.

Yeah what he said. Why would you need ANY recepticles in a pantry?

Certainly he could blank off any non-conformimg receptacles while he
is capping the pliumbing.
... or just ignore the code.
Don't shoot the messenger

No, not intended to start a scrap here.

If I was converting a bathroom to a closet or pantry, I'd pull the wiring.
I figure that capping it off would work, but it would be capped off for
decades where-as the wiring could be used someone else - so might as well
pull it and re-deploy somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2007 13:50:49 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

Well, overall this would de-value the house. The number of baths,
number of bedrooms, and square footage are basic in determining value.
If you plan on staying there it really doesn't matter. Strange, when
you add a bathroom it may increase your property tax, but when you
take away a bathroom your property tax will stay the same. To find
out approximately how much your house will devalue, contact a
real-estate representative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to yourname, Teresa Hall wrote:
This is a good idea!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ry-184226-.htm

A bluey in a pantry John B Woodworking 3 May 23rd 06 09:07 PM
Slide out pantry Richard Home Repair 7 January 10th 06 12:09 AM
Building a closet/pantry? Photog Home Repair 3 July 13th 05 01:55 PM
Interior Pantry Doors ? Bob G. Woodworking 5 April 18th 05 02:11 AM
Pantry insects Gina and Les Armstrong Home Repair 21 March 10th 05 03:54 PM