Don Wilkins

Default Clark is correct

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:02:46 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

,;"Santa Cruz Mike" wrote in message
,;news ,;
,; Well, it worked, after a fashion, until about
,; 1965-70. Then the teachers' unions gained power and public
,; education went into the crapper.
,;
,; Have you bothered to check out the comparative knowledge levels of
,;children
,; in 1965 versus today, Robert? If not, you're in for a surprise.
,;
,; snipped...
,;
,; He Kids today know a lot more then when I was a teenager in
,; 1965!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
,;
,; Mike
,;
,;
,;Amen. In '65, I was 17. My son is now 16. I would NOT want to have to
,;compete with this kid in math, in writing, in history...and most especially,
,;in chemistry. g

Well today I got a phone call for some help with a chemistry problem
from a son who has a Ph.D. in chemistry and works for a blue chip
organization. This is not the first call and hopefully will not be the
last but I still know chemistry that he has not learned yet.

It reminds me of my research director's comment. "You are very good
but you will never catch up with me because I am still learning." He
was still learning but he was in his late 70s at the time. He was very
good but he died in 1981 and I am still learning. Some day my son will
still be learning and I will not be.

I would like to see how your son would do on some of the geography
exams I took back in the 30s.

,;
,;And I graduated from a public high school that was purported to be one of
,;the best in the country.
,;
,;Ed Huntress
,;