Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default Staining pine screen/storm door frame

"blueman" wrote in message
To try to keep with the character of our 150yr old home, I am
considering buying a real wood (pine) frame storm/screen door rather
than using the IMHO cheapie-looking aluminum or vinyl doors that just
bolt over the brick molding.

First, other than higher initial cost and the need for maintenance,
are there any other negatives to wood frame?

Second, I would like to stain the door to show off the wood and be
consistent with the stained wood main door.

Couple of questions:
- What stain should I use?
Is a regular Minwax stain (and sealer since pine) good enough for
such exterior use?

- What (clear) finish is most appropriate for protecting the door from
UV and other weather damage? (we live in the Northeast)
Would you use a spar urethane?
How many coats would you ud

Note the door manufacturer (The Combination Door Company) "recommends
the use of Sikkens Cetol Door and Window finish." Are such finishes
anything special or are they just pitching somebody elses product

Sikkens products are very expensive and most must be reapplied every year or
two without fail to keep up the appearance. Run with Minwax or Old Masters
stain. If you're using pine, you'll want to either use a wood conditioner
(Minwax makes one) prior to staining with a wiping or penetrating stain, or,
as someone else suggested, use a gel stain. Take in a board from your house
that's the color you want the screen door to be, along with a sample of the
same wood as the new door to a paint store for color matching. Make sure
they wipe the stain when checking the color. Any urethane or varnish rated
for exterior finish should work fine. They'll have some at the paint store.