Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Two 10 " blades at once 1/2 in apart.

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:49:07 GMT, "CW" wrote:

The problems cited here all stem from this idea that one is limited to using
the rather ineffective stick with a notch on the end that people poke at
their stock with in hopes of pushing it past their blade. Those are an
invitation to disaster and the use of them has contributed much to kickback.
With a proper push BLOCK, the stock is completely under control, workpiece
and offcut, all the way through the cut. Since they were in such common use,
I made one of these pointy sticks with a hook once. After the first use, it
became firewood. I have far to much concern with my own safety to be using a
kludge like that. With a properly made, and used, pushblock, this cut could
be made with no more problem that any other cut.

Agreed 100%- no reason why a stick has to be used. If I had a reason
to do something like this, I'd put a rabbet in the edge of a hunk of
2x4 that was as deep as the thickness of the wood and put a good
handle on it. If it still seemed a little squirrely, I'd toss a
featherboard on saw as well.