Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Convert bathroom into pantry?

"TC" writes:

My wife came up with a suggestion about our home which I like. However,
I would like some input concerning value of our home. We have a 1700sq
ft home with two full baths and one 1/2 bath that is literally 3 steps
from our open kitchen - just across the hall. Our kitchen is fairly
small and has limited space so my wife suggested we convert the half
bath into a pantry. In terms of flow in the kitchen, it's perfect. My
question: would this lower the value of our home?

Sitting here, looking at text post across the internet, I'd lean
toward "yeah, it very well may reduce the value of your home."
There's no field in MLS for "pantry."

However, the reality is in the details. The old wisdom is "kitchens
and bathrooms sell homes" and of course, here you're at odds with each
other. If you can make that pantry really cool and really memorable
such that it makes the female half of the couple looking at your home
next light up and say "wow that's cool and unique, and I love it! A
walk in closet for the kitchen! WOW! Now that I think about it hte
other places in this neighborhood don't have enough kitchen storage!"
then you may sell faster or for more money than otherwise.

But if you make that pantry look like a converted bathroom such that
it sticks out with mixed feelings, and you're reducing your MLS
bathroom count by .1 you may be undermining resale value.

We would likely just cap all lines so that a new owner could convert
the bath back if they wanted it.

A good idea if you can do it in the wall, perhaps behind an access
panel(s). The toilet drain will be the one requiring some
creativity. And the ceiling vent might be something you want to hide
somehow so the buyers can't look up and say "Do I want my food in a
place people used to crap?"

That's the nuttiness about value--perception becomes reality in a
hurry, and there's no way of reliably predicting what folks will love
or hate.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.