Dan Clingman

Default Home schooling (was...)

I have a first grade daughter who is attending public school. She is
doing well but is board out of her skull. The class is taught to the
lowest 1/3 of the students, who for the most part are at that level
because of the home environment. My wife volunteers two time a week,
working in the class, so she has first hand knowledge of what is going
on.

We are considering home school for shear efficiency. She can get a
focused education in three hours at home and have time for her other
activities. Now she comes home exhausted and really has to push to get
her sports, chores, home work and music lesson done; plus, a first
grader really needs time just to play. That extra four hours would be
gold as it is everything, but school, slips.

I don't think home school is for every family or child but until the
public school gets its act together it is a viable option to parent who
want the best for their kids.

My wife put her engineering career on hold to raise our kids. This cut
our monetary income in half but with the incrase in quality of life,
personal and family happiness we feel this is quit a bargain.

BTW my doughter played the piano at her school talent show on Thursday
and amazed the audience. I knew she was good but the people around me
were literally open mouthed. It was very hard not to elbow the people
beside me and say that my daughter.

One Proud Dad.

Dan C

Dan Caster wrote:

I don't know too much about home schooling, but my niece lives in
Alaska and is home schooling her daughter. My sister ( her mother )
told me that in Alaska home schooled children have to take tests and
pass to be home schooled.

Dan

wrote in message

When generalizing about groups, I don't see how statistics can be
meaningful considering how many home-schooled kids live below the
radar. In our county there probably isn't a practical way for
officials to know that the kids *exist*, must less how well they're
schooled.

Wayne