Mike Patterson

Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

On 15 Feb 2004 14:59:04 -0500, wrote:

SNIP

Fourth, cost. Sometimes it is very worth it to rebuild/repair/replace the
ailing part than to get a new one. Most people won't even look into a repair
any more. Heck, I know people that buy new cars instead of replacing the
clutch. I have gotten many very good higher-quality-than-you-can-get-now
items from people because they were "broke" and a few simple repairs brought
them back to life.

Fifth, servicability. If I could fix it before, I can fix it again.

Ok, some of these are kinda strange and may be null arguments, but that is
the thought here.

Now, a $3 switch, I would have just replaced that...

-- Joe

Some of my favorite "got it cheap broken and enjoyed fixing it"
stories a

The $250 .22 rifle I bought for $30 and straightened the extractor.
Works great.

The $200 ethernet print server that was being thrown out because the
12VDC power supply was missing...one out of my junk box in the
basement worked fine, after I bypassed a broken power supply lead on
the circuit board.

The IBM Thinkpad I picked up at a yard sale for $25, then used for 2
years after reseating the hard drive. Still have it, but it got to be
too slow.

The Milwaukee fixed-base router I got at a yard sale for $12, then
replaced the brushes on. Sitting in my router table for the last 2
years.

Shop Vac - yard sale $5, hose cannibalized from a dead one, works fine
now.

Nasty dirty SKS rifle with a cracked stock, bought at a pawn shop for
$25, cleaned up and installed a stock I got from a friend who was
putting a plastic stock on his. Shoots great now.

Old Sears 3-wheel benchtop bandsaw - $20 at a flea market, cleaned it
up, put a new switch on it, works fine for light-duty stuff.

There is a certain satisfaction in noodling out and fixing problems,
especially if I have to "fake it" with what I happen to have in the
shop.

Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.