Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Staining pine screen/storm door frame

blueman wrote:
To try to keep with the character of our 150yr old home, I am
considering buying a real wood (pine) frame storm/screen door rather
than using the IMHO cheapie-looking aluminum or vinyl doors that just
bolt over the brick molding.

First, other than higher initial cost and the need for maintenance,
are there any other negatives to wood frame?

Second, I would like to stain the door to show off the wood and be
consistent with the stained wood main door.

Couple of questions:
- What stain should I use?
Is a regular Minwax stain (and sealer since pine) good enough for
such exterior use?

- What (clear) finish is most appropriate for protecting the door from
UV and other weather damage? (we live in the Northeast)
Would you use a spar urethane?
How many coats would you ...

Note the door manufacturer (The Combination Door Company) "recommends
the use of Sikkens Cetol Door and Window finish." Are such finishes
anything special or are they just pitching somebody elses product

Odds are the door maker knows more about finishing the product than
anyone in this NG. They have recommended a well-respected product, so
save yourself the hassle and just use it.
To get the color you want, experiment on the inside lower stiles.
Minwax is good stuff, but with pine, go easy on the stain, maybe even
get some similar pine boards to play with at the lumber yard. The top
finish will dictate the durability, so follow the Cetol directions to
the letter. Install with three high quality hinges, 7" from the top,
center, and 11" from the bottom. Good luck.

Joe