Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

In article ,
lane lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

"jim" wrote in message ...
couple of months back i was replacing a gate.. cedar 1 by 6 in. 6 ft
tall. i had some hardware on there that was about 30 yrs. old. it was
good quality stuff but the rust kinda messed up the threads on the
bolts and nuts.. i got out the taps and dies and told my wife that it
was goona be a bitch to get all this rust off... she then said.. how old
is the stuff: about 30 yrs.. she then said: well how many times do you
think you gonna have to do this again??? i realized that for the time
and energy that i was gonna put into this job that i could have just as
easily walked to the hardware store and for a few bucks got new stuff,
which i did.... i just have it in my mind that something needs fixing
and i can do it, so why buy new if the old stuff still works.........
kinda hard to get off of this way of thinking......
kinda like the time a ceiling fan switch lost its chain pull... i
figured i would get a new switch... went to three local hardware stores
and none thad them... i then drilled out the rivets to take the switch
apart.. then had to make some screws long enough to put the switch back
together..... took a long time do do with the screws(finally used the
shafts of the rivets that i put in the die to put on some threads.....
took all this time and one day out at home depot find a wall of these
switches for fans for about $3.00 each.... kinda made me feel bad
after messing with the old switch.... is anyone out there feels like
this???? sometimes does too much to fix junk that it only seems right to
them????

I'm with you. I have a "can do" "fix-it" mentality. Plus, often you're able
to fix it into a better than new condition. Never to die again. I would
much rather fix something than buy another one.

Lane

Count me in for the "fix-it" crowd.

I will often try to fix something rather than replace for a number of
reasons.

First of all is the challenge. Can I figure out what is wrong and figure out
how to make it right. This step is free. Some people do crossword puzzles, I
diagnose broke stuff...

Second, depending on what you are starting with, sometimes the repair is at
least as good, or better than the original. Stripped threads in that
aluminum bit that lasted 30 years? The helicoil will make it go at least
another 30. A new one won't last 5.

Third, aesthetics. I like the aerodynamic toasters. Nicrome wire is cheap
compared to finding anything close to the look of that old toaster.
Sometimes, this plan fails as you get into the repair and the mica falls
apart on you. Old hinges may just look right compared to new hinges. If all
it takes is cleaning them up and maybe reaming and fitting new pins it can
be well worth it. People with more money than we have pay big bucks for this
sort of service... refiting antiques to working order for use in their new
houses.

Fourth, cost. Sometimes it is very worth it to rebuild/repair/replace the
ailing part than to get a new one. Most people won't even look into a repair
any more. Heck, I know people that buy new cars instead of replacing the
clutch. I have gotten many very good higher-quality-than-you-can-get-now
items from people because they were "broke" and a few simple repairs brought
them back to life.

Fifth, servicability. If I could fix it before, I can fix it again.

Ok, some of these are kinda strange and may be null arguments, but that is
the thought here.

Now, a $3 switch, I would have just replaced that...

-- Joe

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff
Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet