lane

Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

"jim" wrote in message ...
couple of months back i was replacing a gate.. cedar 1 by 6 in. 6 ft
tall. i had some hardware on there that was about 30 yrs. old. it was
good quality stuff but the rust kinda messed up the threads on the
bolts and nuts.. i got out the taps and dies and told my wife that it
was goona be a bitch to get all this rust off... she then said.. how old
is the stuff: about 30 yrs.. she then said: well how many times do you
think you gonna have to do this again??? i realized that for the time
and energy that i was gonna put into this job that i could have just as
easily walked to the hardware store and for a few bucks got new stuff,
which i did.... i just have it in my mind that something needs fixing
and i can do it, so why buy new if the old stuff still works.........
kinda hard to get off of this way of thinking......
kinda like the time a ceiling fan switch lost its chain pull... i
figured i would get a new switch... went to three local hardware stores
and none thad them... i then drilled out the rivets to take the switch
apart.. then had to make some screws long enough to put the switch back
together..... took a long time do do with the screws(finally used the
shafts of the rivets that i put in the die to put on some threads.....
took all this time and one day out at home depot find a wall of these
switches for fans for about $3.00 each.... kinda made me feel bad
after messing with the old switch.... is anyone out there feels like
this???? sometimes does too much to fix junk that it only seems right to
them????

I'm with you. I have a "can do" "fix-it" mentality. Plus, often you're able
to fix it into a better than new condition. Never to die again. I would
much rather fix something than buy another one.

Lane