Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default still a newbie- green wood question

Hello All,
I still have not made anything decent with my lathe - two round things
from square stock and a rough looking goblet of sorts from a piece of
cherry. I have signed up for a bowl turning class at my local
Woodcraft for the end of this month so I am thinking along the right
lines.
My question to you all is about making a salad bowl from green wood.
Assuming the wood of choice is compatible with food, is there any
danger or problem in using the bowl immediately after it's turned? Can
an oil finish be applied to a green bowl? I am not concerned about
shape stability.

(I did a brief google search for green wood turning but after several
citations I could not find one specific to my concern so that's why I'm
asking)
Thanks in advance to everyone for your advice.
Marc