Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT News server problems

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:36:24 -0800, Renata0403 wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:32 am, wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:

Funny, I used Agent (the pay one) for years. After going to Google I
can't see how I put up with Agent.

I'm completely the opposite. To each his own.

For one, google doesn't distinguish if a thread has been added to
(w/new replies). If I've accessed a thread, it shows on the list in a
different color (as w/any website) and there seems to be no distinction
if new stuff has been added (such as this thread). Pain in the
keester.

Well, my bottom line is that Verizon has realized the error of their
ways - not in my favor. They fixed their server so that non-Verizon
IPs cannot access their services and I'm gonna have to subscribe to
newsguy to access news from anywhere but home. Just debating if I
want to wait another couple weeks for my credit card to roll over.

While newsguy works (been using it for years), http://www.teranews.com/
has a free service and http://news.individual.net/ is very inexpensive.
Might want to try one of those.

Renata

To each his own, I guess. Having used NewsXpress, I can't imagine how
anybody puts up with Google.Well I might try that, as I prefer Google
to Agent.

Everything is just so much easier
to do, and I can do it from anywhere.

You have a curious definition of "everything", because, as you note
below, you can't access binary groups _at_all_ through Google.

Your definition of "everything" doesn't appear to include killfiles
and filters, either.I agree that Google badly needs a killfile
feature. It is the only

serious
newsreader feature that I miss.

It doesn't have a .sig feature either, but probably on balance, that's
a good thing.

Quite true -- one reason I don't use Google Groups except to look up
something in the past. It's a fine archive, but for reading current
posts, it sucks. ...With Google I can do an ego search to see who has
replied to

my articles and when reading a thread I can sort by date to see if
there are any new additions. Google also follows threads across
newsgroups.

With Google, the troll attacks in rec.woowdorking haven't been a
problem.
The dipfloods (DOS attacks) on news.admin.net-abuse.email were for a
while but I think Google may have learned to kill those as recently I
have read about there being new attacks but have seen neither hide nor
hair of them.

--

FF

--