Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Compact Flourescent "Lamps" for Ceiling Fan(s)

wrote in message
John Gilmer wrote:

... A 10" diameter globe would only take a 15 watt CF. In theory
that's as bright as a 60 watt conventional light but who is kidding!

It's close. You can measure the relative outputs with a Bunsen grease spot
photometer. Put a bulb at each end of a yardstick and move a piece of

white
paper with a grease spot between them until the spot disappears,

indicating
equal illumination from both sides, at which point I1/d1^2 = I2/d2^2 for
distances d1 and d2 from bulbs 1 and 2.

Thank you.

I might try that some day. You method "works", I guess, because the spot
causes some light to be transmitted through that otherwise would be
reflected. When the light from the back side makes up for the light
transmitted the spot goes away.

Maybe I can get my older girl to try it as a "project".

However in NO WAY does a 5 watt CF do much more than act like a bright night
light.