Roy

Default being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:49:20 GMT, jim wrote:

===couple of months back i was replacing a gate.. cedar 1 by 6 in. 6 ft
===tall. i had some hardware on there that was about 30 yrs. old. it was
===good quality stuff but the rust kinda messed up the threads on the
===bolts and nuts.. i got out the taps and dies and told my wife that it
===was goona be a bitch to get all this rust off... she then said.. how old
===is the stuff: about 30 yrs.. she then said: well how many times do you
===think you gonna have to do this again??? i realized that for the time
===and energy that i was gonna put into this job that i could have just as
===easily walked to the hardware store and for a few bucks got new stuff,
===which i did.... i just have it in my mind that something needs fixing
===and i can do it, so why buy new if the old stuff still works.........
===kinda hard to get off of this way of thinking......
===kinda like the time a ceiling fan switch lost its chain pull... i
===figured i would get a new switch... went to three local hardware stores
===and none thad them... i then drilled out the rivets to take the switch
===apart.. then had to make some screws long enough to put the switch back
===together..... took a long time do do with the screws(finally used the
===shafts of the rivets that i put in the die to put on some threads.....
===took all this time and one day out at home depot find a wall of these
===switches for fans for about $3.00 each.... kinda made me feel bad
===after messing with the old switch.... is anyone out there feels like
===this???? sometimes does too much to fix junk that it only seems right to
===them????

There is nothing much more that I like doing than making items thatw
ere deemed unserviceable serviceable or turing junk into useable
items. Its called being frugal.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.