Simon Avery

Default Strange sink squidy stuff

(Ian Clowes) wrote:

Hello Ian

Squidgy's held in place between sink and worktop and makes
a very effective seal. Important to clamp the sink tight,
or too much squidgy shows and it gets dirty and looks
'orrible.

IC| Darn! My new sink also had squidgy but no instructions, so
IC| I put a good dose of silicone under the edge so it squeezed
IC| out when I tightened the clamps.

That works too.

IC| This is partly because the chap who fitted our last sink
IC| with squidgy didn't make as good a job of it as you suggest
IC| is possible, so it "gets dirty and looks 'orrible".

Yep, and TBH I use "Bathroom & Kitchen" Silicone too. (Non-fungal),
laying a thick bead, splodging sink, then trimming off excess when
dry. Just as effective and seems to stay cleaner for longer.

I think the Squidgy is pretty much a trade "quick fix". Not as good as
silicone, but they don't have to hang around for it to dry. (Ok, it
can also be smoothed when wet, but looks a bit odd for some counters
if you do that.) The squidgy for hobs might have some additional fire
retardant properties that go beyond silicone? I don't know.

OTOH, the last kitchen sink I installed, I punched holes in each
corner and screwed the bugger in because I didn't have any clamps.

Not as bad as it sounds, it was for a stable tack room - and very
effective too.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: