Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] Renata0403@gmail.com is offline

Default Kitchen Project (asked in: OT News server problems)

Thanx for asking. But now...

I'm gonna cry. You wanna come over and help me catch up? I haven't
even started the "infrastructure".
Though, this time, if the price is right, I may just hire an
electrician and have it done in a day instead of a week (or so).

Cold and dark part of year is ok since I spent most of the warm and
sunny part outside and eternally delayed getting started on this
project. The stove's out of warranty and hasn't even had an ounce of
gas flowing to it.

Do you work in your (unheated) garage?

I keep thinking I'll hit a milestone "this weekend". For the last
several weekends.

Not that progess is being made but as you say, "I'd forgotten how much
work this was".

What I recall is that it took me a couple hours to "slap together" a
cabinet. Hah! Time musta passed more slowly back then.

Actually, I think things are going well, and reasonably "fast", but
I've just been overly optimistic on the time it would take. As usual.

I gotta stop setting deadlines based on how things SEEM to be going -
before a curve of some sort is thrown my way, or I "forget" some of the
steps that need to be gone thru to get to the finished product.

I have the upper cabinets almost done (and they've been "almost" for
about 3 weeks now). But, really, they may get their exteriors lacquer
sprayed this weekend.

Last night I was fitting the doors and discovered that I had drilled
thru the door when I was adding the extra holes for the plastic dowel
that comes w/the Hettich hinges I bought. I thought it was going awful
deep, but ASSUMED I'd had it set properly and it hadn't changed. Gotta
remeber - ALWAYS double check if you've been away for a bit.

Additionally, the "system" I'd hoped to set up to easily duplicate
repetitive tasks (like installing hinges, for example) isn't working
out as well as planned. Mainly, 'cause the defective drill press
messed things up. So, I gotta individually check each hinge cup hole
and lay out the other pieces accordingly. Forget using the jig I made.

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics on pic.ww'g as soon as the uppers
are done. Done, in the shop, not hanging on the wall.

I figure base cabinets won't be as time consuming. All the pieces are
cut, just gotta be assembled. Then I start the tearout (by end of
month?) of the old cabinets (uppers are already down), soffits,
wallpaper; redo electrical; move some plumbing (minor - ref water
line); insulate the outside wall (for some reason they seem to not have
insulated the end wall - that faces north!) w/isocyanurate; etc. I'll
build the drawers after the cabinets are in, though I'll mount the
slides before I assemble the cabs.

I'm aiming to be done by April 3.

Still having fun though (most of the time) and don't regret going the
custom route. Just anxious to see (and use) it all together.

Renata

On Jan 8, 3:32 pm, Patriarch wrote:

How goes the kitchen project? I'm about 75% of the way through the
faceframes on my daughter-in-laws kitchen. Drawers & doors to go. Floor,
boxes, appliances, countertops, sink & plumbing, electrical all done.

I'd forgotten how much work this was, in the dark, cold part of the year.

atriarch