Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default What is the highest wattage incandescent

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:57:24 -0600, wrote:

What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a
standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W.
But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby
fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the
60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.

I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am
wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF
bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.

Mark

I have a light bar used in the 60's for 8mm filming indoors. It uses
four 500 watt bulbs. They have the standard base but the glass is
bigger.