Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default What is the highest wattage incandescent

wrote:
What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a
standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W.
But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby
fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the
60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.

I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am
wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF
bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.

Mark

I have had 500# (#2 Photoflood) but they have a useful life of about 8
hours as I recall.

I would not recommend putting anything over 150W in a standard socket as
they make a lot of heat and most sockets are not ready for it. Same goes
for fixtures and their wiring.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit