Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
B McGee B McGee is offline

Default Cleaning of blackened stones on fireplace ?

Glad to hear it works on the walkway as well! It's pretty great stuff
for soot stains. Glad you got it all cleaned up before your wife got
home...sounds like something I would do!

Willshak wrote:
B McGee wrote:
I have had great success with the regular Simple Green product on
black residue on glass fireplace doors...I would be willing to bet if
Simple Green makes a product specifically for stone...it would
probably work great. In fact, if you try it, I would love to hear if
it worked!

I recently did a chimney cleaning of my oil fired boiler using chimney
sweep brushes (first time in 22 years). I then vacuumed out the firing
chamber with a shop vac. After I emptied the shop vac, I took it outside
to clean it. I cleaned the vac on a brick walkway (the wife wasn't home,
luckily). The terra cotta stones were then an oily black. I used Simple
Green to clean out the vac and washed the stones with a stiff broom,
then washed it off with the hose. The vac and the stones were as good as
new (and the evidence was gone!)..

Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:
just saw simple green has a product for stone. The regular simple
green works great on natural resins maybe this will work on the stones.

peace
dawg.

"James" wrote in message
. ..
: Well, I am not so sure of this. I feel certain there is a common
household
: product that will clean smut off of a fireplace.
:
: --james--
:
: -------------------------------------
:
:
: I don't know. I can tell you this, according to the CRC Handbook of
: Chemistry and Physics, the only substance in which carbon is
soluable is
: molten iron (that's how they make steel), so searching for a chemical
: solution is probably futile.
:
:
: